happy labor day! as you may know, i recently purchased a tiny waffle maker. so, i had to make waffles to celebrate the long labor day weekend:
i found a couple of recipes online, and ultimately adapted the recipe from this recipe for vegan spelt cocoa waffles, using the ingredients i had on hand.
this is the recipe for the ones i made (makes 5 small waffles):
spelt-cocoa-chia seed waffles
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana or ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup nut milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or any liquid sweetener)
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl: spelt flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients: vanilla extract, banana or applesauce, nut milk, chia seeds, coconut oil, and maple syrup. let this sit for a few minutes.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge for about 5-10 minutes so the waffle batter has time to thicken.
- cook waffles according to waffle iron’s directions or until crispy!
char and i both thought they turned out great! do you have a favorite waffle recipe? share it with me! are you making anything fun for labor day?!