hi team! the majority of the meals i’ve planned for the week are from amy chaplin’s cookbook, at home in the whole food kitchen. i started perusing this book a few weeks ago, and it has rocked my world ever since. i am amazed by how simple, yet filling and healthy these recipes are. when i first read through them, i thought… no way that is going to fill me up, like an idiot!
so amy’s actual recipe is posted in this blog here, so if you’re going to make this dish — i would honestly recommend following that recipe. i’m listing out the way i prepare it in case you’re curious as to the subs i’ve made. i’ve made just three modifications to the original recipe, which are: a splash of red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar after the greens cook, 2 bunches of kale instead of 1.5 bunches, and saving the pasta water to add to the pasta along with the cooked veggies. last week when i made this dish, i used 1 bunch of collard greens and 1 bunch of chard, so you can really mix and match with most leafy greens, or whatever you have on hand. i love packing in as many leafy greens as i can, which is why i upped the amount, but use whatever you have and it’ll be ideal.
one ingredient that i would recommend is meredith dairy’s marinated goat’s and sheep’s milk cheese. i have now found it in the refrigerated cheese section at both whole foods in oakland and berkeley bowl in berkeley. it’s great with many dishes, including this pasta. if you can’t find it, no worries — you can either find a different marinated goat cheese, or find a fun recipe to make your own, like this one (link). amy also mentions that it’s good with a soft goat cheese. i must add though, that the oil from the marinade really gives this pasta a lot of flavor.
so, here are my ingredients and directions. this is very similar to amy’s recipe linked above, but with the substitutions i mentioned. it serves 4-6.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 lb whole-wheat pasta
- 2 bunches of kale (or other leafy green), sliced
- 8 oz marinated goat cheese (oil marinade reserved)
- freshly ground black pepper
- reserved pasta water (1/2 cup)
- warm olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat and add the onions. sauté them until they’re beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. add 1 tsp. salt and then lower heat and stir ever 15-20 minutes until onions are softened and caramelized to your liking.
- meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add lots of salt.
- once onions are caramelized to your liking, add fettuccine to boiling water and cook per package directions, until al dente. drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water, and return to pot.
- while pasta cooks, stir kale into onions, and cover to cook for 6-8 minutes, until tender. add onions + kale, and 3/4 of the marinated goat cheese, lots of freshly ground black pepper, and the reserved pasta water to the pasta. toss well.
- drizzle in a tbsp or more of the oil marinade, and season to taste.
- divide among bowls and top with a crumble of remaining goat cheese. serve it up!
it’s truly so simple and delicious! this is definitely going to be a keeper in my weekly routine, and i’ll hope you’ll try it out!