I went on a two-mile walk this morning around Lake Merritt, and when I returned home, I felt the need to treat myself (healthy style). The fresh herbs and fresh lemon juice and zest truly make this salad feel decadent, yet also very light. A perfect way to start the new week.
Pretty much everything can be subbed for something different, or omitted if you don’t have it. If you don’t have a lemon, sub balsamic or champagne vinegar. If you don’t have feta cheese, substitute another fat — toasted walnuts or crumbled goat cheese would be great. For the fresh herbs, use as many as you have on hand. You get the point… all we are doing is adding a protein, fat, herbs, and greens together with a citrus and an oil, topped with sea salt and ground pepper. Okay, now for the ingredients.
Ingredients (one serving)
- Egg, fried (yolk still runny, but white part solid)
- 1-2 sprigs each of dill, parsley, & cilantro (stems removed, chopped)
- 1 tbsp. feta cheese
- Mixed sweet greens (or green of your choice)
- Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- Lemon zest (about 1/4 tsp.)
- Splash of olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Assemble the salad: lay the mixed greens and top with the egg. Then sprinkle the chopped fresh herbs and feta cheese on the salad.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle on top of the assembled salad.
- Top with sea salt and ground pepper. I also added red pepper flakes for some spice, but that is completely optional.